Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Redbull and Mermaids

I'm sitting here, in the current CasketStudios (ie, my Apartment), with a red bull by my laptop. I'm watching Star Trek on my poor and crappy little TV, chuckling at the interactions between the "new" versions of Bones and Kirk. I can't watch the old series because I keep laughing at the special effects. We've honestly come a long way as far as special effects are concerned (surprise surprise), and it's amazing to see.

Where the fuck did Winter Break go? I've got two weeks and then I'm back in college for the spring semester. I'm not complaining entirely, just thought I'd have a longer chance to go and do stuff. ((random moment: watching the first red matter scene and going "Oooh! Shiny!!" and also giggling with glee at Spock's eyebrow raise)) I realize life is going to get 3x as busy. (still waiting for a paycheck to be involved with a lot of the stuff I do) I'm actually happy about that. The more active I am, the more creative I am, and the more chances I get to do some fun stuff.

((Random ST Moment: I want Sulu's Katana. Nuff said.))

Sorry, I should be more focused on my stuff, but the combination of the awesomeness of the movie and the fact that I'm going to be trying STO in a few weeks is making me giddy. I have been playing City of Heroes for nearly three years now, and while it's been fun, there's a substantial lack of any decent new content. The fact that the main brain behind "Going Rogue" is also the same brain behind the Cimerora zone does not give me any hope for the future of CoH. It doesn't help that much that I have been a part of a large and very structured Super Group (hero side) that does NOT want to participate in Villain activities at all - "Going Rogue" will obliterate any type of coherent single-side SG system that is in place when it drops. I've gotten a little used to intelligent, semi-militant - based group that has a bit of a crazy streak in them. We're all fun, really. It's going to be interesting in Star Trek Online.

Anyway, enough non-art stuff. Thanks to a few different discussions I've had over the break, I've been in the mood (though probably will be unable) to do some redesigns on a few well-known series. One as a possible commission, the other as stock for my portfolio. I've found out that Highlander is getting a reboot. How it's going to be scripted, I'm not entirely sure, except that the original producer/director team is going to be doing it, plus several of the writers from Iron Man have signed on to do the scriptwriting.

((Nother Random ST Moment: Kirk really sucks at hand to hand combat in the beginning. Either that or Vulcans become Vikings when angered. Hehe. Vulcan Vikings.))

I have been bouncing around ideas as to casting for the reboot of the Highlander series. So far, one of the forerunners is Karl Urban as Connor MacLeod. He's proven to be versatile (both as Eomer from LoTR and Bones from ST), has combat training, and for the love of the Celtic gods, he's Scottish! It'd probably be more accurate than Christopher Lambert, bless his heart for trying though. I've been putting together updated versions of all of the characters (Connor, Rameriez, the Kurgan) in my head to try to make them a little more appropriate for 2010. The original version kicked ass, but let's be honest, it'd be a little hard for Connor to blend in with his current look. He needs a little bit of work.

If I can, I'd love to be able to get character designs set up for that project. One of the things I've always loved about drawing was designing outfits. I've made a homecoming and prom dress that way, and I love to continually do these things. It's part of the fascination I also have with being a character conceptual artist. I would, in a very bizarre sense, years down the road, love to be attending a convention (either as a patron or a guest) and see someone in a cosplay of a character that I've created. Admittedly, I'd love to see it on a person of appropriate body type (ie, not several hundred pounds more than the actual character would weigh)

Wow. It's already the end of the movie. I thought it would last longer....Anyway. I guess that's enough rambling from me for now. I'll try to use this blog more as time goes on. I'm feeling talkative this semester anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment